Last week, I posted an article on the 5 Things You Should Never Say To Someone With #Cancer. Martina McBride’s song “I’m Gonna Love You Through It” speaks volumes. The following are a combination of phrases that will help you say the right thing.
- I am sorry. Three words in the English language that says it all.
- What can I do? My three favorite words in any crisis.
- I don’t know what to say. There’s nothing wrong with being honest as long as it’s not hurtful or injecting fear. Once the shock wears off you can always go back and say what you wish you could have at the time.
- I’m scared. The cancer fighter knows all about fear. It’s okay to share your fears together.
- You’re going to survive this. Everyone needs to believe this, and it helps if you do too. We all need hope.
- I’m gonna love you through it. When you say this, and you mean it, you’ll be there for your friend, mother, sister whatever. It’s the one thing that you could say that sums all of this up.