Hi, my name is April. I’m so happy you’re here. Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me. I’m a happily married West Coast creative with a professional background in social work and journalism.
My expertise is in women’s affairs (though I’ve worked with men and boys, too). I enjoy family time, cooking, learning about other people and taking pictures.
Once upon a time I was working towards a career in the television industry. My goal was to be the next Oprah Winfrey or Barbara Walters. By the time I was done studying broadcast news, journalism and production there was no doubt I could do it.
I’d even won an award for a documentary I produced. I had auditions lined up for morning shows. It seemed I was finally going to reap the rewards of my hard work.
But something life-changing and unforeseen happened on my climb up the ladder to success.
- My sister (and best friend) died due to complications of juvenile diabetes.
- November 2012 I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer
As you can imagine both occurrences were shocking and painful. But, as with all experiences there are lessons and takeaways. Here are a few of mine.
- Time and life is our most valuable currency. Once you spend it, you can’t get it back. So how you invest it is important. Think about that.
- We’re all in pursuit of the “happyness” and success defined by society through advertising, magazines and programming.
- We should create our own image of success and happiness based on OUR individual values and the end result we desire, rather than follow the herd.
- Your home and environment can either support your goals, personally and professionally, and can bring you closer to personal fulfillment and happiness, or it can leave you feeling empty handed and depleted.
My intent is to:
- share content I hope will inspire and empower you to make strong investments in your personal life,
- encourage you to create a home environment that makes you smile inside. That supports health and wellness. That refuels and recharges you.
- provide practical tips to staying safe in an unpredictable world
- encourage you to meet your life head-on right where you are! Starting today!
Because we are not one-dimensional creatures you’ll find a variety of subjects, blurbs and interviews related to day-to-day living.
On a personal note: The aftermath of cancer has left me coping with Post Traumatic Stress and some ongoing health issues including chronic fatigue and menopause.
I was nicknamed “the reporter with a heart” so you can expect to find my heart in the story.
Please share your thoughts and suggestions with me!
PERSONAL FULFILLMENT The goals and things that bring you happiness outside of your career. It encompasses your mind, body, health, family and environment. It’s dictated by individual desires, passions and inspirations rather than those pushed on us by society.
My Principals to Contented Living
- Act within your means to create the life, health and environment you desire, right now, rather than waiting until, if, or when something bigger and better happens for you.
- Re-define success, perfection, happiness and wealth based on your values, visions and lot in life.
- Be flexible. Unexpected events happen. You have to be willing to bend and move when they do. So don’t be married to your 5- or 10- year plan. Think of it as an outline.
In case you’re wondering…
- I think guilty pleasures and “me time” are powerful tools to healthy living
- I believe we should minimize chemically laden skincare, cosmetics and food and gravitate towards whole foods and ingredients we recognize
- I prefer to focus on eating for your body type and health rather than subscribe to popular diets and trends
- I always say; chemicals are like calories; you’re going to get them somewhere, it’s just a matter of how and where. For me, it’s hair color (laugh)
- I believe real life is filled with a variety of moments that make up our story; The good. The bad. The happy. The sad. The perfect. The embarrassing.
If you like what you see here, please subscribe and share! Thank you for stopping by.
The Lifestyle Brief ™ is part of the ImperfectLiving ™ Brand